Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Ode to Craigslist

Okay, so you KNOW about my love of thrift shops so it is probably obvious that I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Craigslist. I have an affinity for gently used items, especially vintage, that no one else can purchase when they tell you, "Hey, I like that...where'd ya get it?"

{Note: the link to Craigslist is MY Craigslist, here in Austin. Just click on your (nearest) city on the right side of the page. You don't want to drive to Scranton for a beat up, old chair, do you?}

Here are some recent finds:




I LOVE these chairs! I got a set of four on Craigslist. Imagine them with a fresh coat of shiny black paint and some updated fabric and wa-la...Art. This is my plan, but I'm limiting to myself to a heavy, canvas fabric in a dark color with a pattern. This is harder to find than I thought...'specially when it has to be on clearance...eek!


I can't say enough good things about this little 'ole IKEA loveseat. It COMFORTABLY sits two and converts into a bed for overnight guests...not your Grandma's futon, eh? Any cookie crumbs and cat hairs you see on this couch are all mine. I bought it in "like new" condition for half the price you would pay at Ikea. LOVE IT!

The other *Spectacular* thing about Craigslist is that you can sell your old junk there, too. I have unloaded a lot of stuff with mostly good experiences. Some people give you a haggle on the price and terms of retrieving, but YOU are selling it so YOU have the last word : )

Good Tips: 1. Only accept cash for items you are selling. 2. Remember that you are dealing with strangers so keep alert when retrieving items or if someone comes to your place to pick them up. 3. When there is something good, at a good price then you have to be the first one to respond to the seller, so check often when you are searching for a particular item.

Happy Hunting!

1 comment:

Jack said...

I love me some Craigslist too! We got Jack a cool fort and sold our treadmill on craigslist. Can't wait to see the chairs all dolled up.